Thursday, March 06, 2008

globeandmail.com - Exit, the Dungeon Master

OK. I'll admit it. I played D&D when I was in my late teens. Those of you who know me are are no doubt underwhelmed with surprise. Anyway, it was a hell of a lot of fun back in the day and I have many fond memories of hanging out with friends and playing all sorts of role playing games throughout the night. Gary Gygax was sort of a brand name back then. His name on a game meant something. With me and my friends (who moved from D&D to other, what we considered to be, more sophisticated games) his name was sort of the microsoft brand among games. He was the powerhouse and if you knew nothing about role playing games you had at least heard of D&D. Well anyway, it's kind of amazing to me that he's gone. He certainly was, indirectly, a positive influence in my youth and, as a geeky teenager, provided me with a medium to make friends that I otherwise might not have had.

read more | digg story

No comments: