Sunday, July 29, 2007

Week in review

Those of you who know me may know of my many past times and obsessions. The irony is that many of these obsessions are in no way reflections of my level of skill or knowledge regarding them. For instance, I have a bit of a chess obsession--yet I'm probably the worst player I know. The computer can beat me with at every predetermined skill level with the possible exception of the opponent that seems to move more or less randomly. I should definitely spend more time practicing which is of course the key to getting better.

Another obsession is for watches. I have one watch and it's a Timex. Moreover, I know nothing about watch repair or movements--although I did see an online course I'm toying with enrolling in. This week after about a year of deliberation I spent 45$ (those of you who know me also know that I can hem and haw a LONG time about purchasing something I know I don't really need--even if it's a small amount). Anyway, I got a gray market Seiko on ebay. I've got a bit of a thing for in-house movements and Seiko is one of the few that manufactures pretty much every part of their watches. Plus, they are really good value for the money. Sort of the hondas of the watch world. So it hasn't arrived yet but expect picture of the new watch both to go up on facebook and on timezone.com. I'm eyeing the Seiko Spirit for the next purchase although it's more like 300$. I'll have to save up, but there are other personal purchases I should probably making beforehand--like a new pair of dress shoes (right now I use my doc martins).

Aside from my consumer tendencies and news there are other, more important, things going on. Finn still isn't speaking and we're starting to wonder if he is just delayed or if there is something more serious going on. Fortunately, my sister-in-law is a speech pathologist so she is going to assess him.

1 comment:

Cupcake said...

Our little guy is so sweet, that it's hard watching him struggle to just say a simple word that we know he already knows. :-(

I gave him the Timex because "it takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n". ;-P

For those who don't know, Cupcake is Irmina.